Friday, January 23, 2009

Making a Slipcover from an Old Slipcover

Hello!

I attended the Slipcover Summit last June and could really use your expert opinion in this situation! I am making 2 slipcovers long distance and so do not have the chair. The customer wanted me to make the covers from an existing old cover, so she sent it to me and I took it apart and made patterns from it.

The problem is that the outside back is about 3/4 of an inch shorter than the sides which is causing me grief in inserting the zipper. The keyholes match up with the front of the outside arms and deck perfectly. The actual back pattern piece is correct too. Would it be ok to trim the outside arm 3/4 of an inch shorter where it meets the zipper and taper it to the halfway point of the outside arm piece along the bottom edge?

I realize the old pieces have probably stretched a bit out of shape, so that my patterns are not perfect. The crazy thing is that I can stretch the pieces enough to make the seams match on the left back where there is no zipper, but cannot do so on the right side with the zipper.

Any help would be appreciated.Sincerely, Jenise LeMaySew L'eMayzing www.sewlemayzingwindows.com

3 comments:

K from WA said...

Thank you Jean for your phone call. She let me know that sometimes the fabric stretches when applying a zipper. Well, I kept that in mind and realized that the outside arm piece was angled in the back causing it to stretch as it was more of a bias cut than a straight cut. I then reapplied the welt the length I needed and fit the piece to it, applied the zipper and it came out perfect! Thanks again Jean.
Sincerely,
Jenise LeMay

K from WA said...

Thank you Angie for your call! She told me another method to do what I did with the welt. You guys are great -- makes me want to attend another summit!

Sincerely,
Jenise LeMay

Shirley Hendry Walsh said...

Not only is the bias possibily stretched, but the underarm area of an outside arm is often scootched with a bit of excess into the the outside back seam. The underarm area creates this little bit of excess..I am sure by now you hid it well ? ( LOL )>